I opted to write on Friday about a topic brought up in the #WomensLives initiative. As such, I’ve bumped last weeks Five on Friday back a couple days so that post could stand on its own for a little while.
I periodically do an “about me” list. Past ones can be found here, here, here, here and here. Â Yeah, okay so I’ve done five of them… but I’ve been writing this blog for around 8 years now. So I don’t think that’s too excessive.
1. I have my degree in Journalism from Texas A&M University. (I start with this because it recently came to my attention that some people don’t realize this fact. So since its a pretty big deal to Â me I start here.) This statement is two-fold.
One, I actually attended Texas A&M. I’m not a t-shirt fan (does A&M even have those?) and it’s not just about football for me. I got an amazing education there, and the entire experience of being an Aggie is special.
Two, I have a degree in Journalism. I spent the last 5 years as a bartender, and I’m actively working towards opening my own bar. Â I love the bar business more than I EVER thought I would. But this does not change the fact that my formal training is in journalism, and I still use much of that training today. I’m very, very proud of my degree, even if I don’t work in a newspaper or tv station or radio. I often say I walked away from the field, but in reality it neverÂ left my heart. I still have a lot of interest in it, and, who knows, I may go back into it some day.
2. Â I miss taking photographs for fun. I’ve become so focused on making money doing it, that I’ve forgotten what I love to do. And that is to just take great pictures! Â So for Lent this year, I am once again doing a photo-a-day that runs from Ash Wednesday to Easter Sunday. Â I love the challenge of finding something to photograph each day, and its reminding me what I love about this art all over again.
3. I thoroughly enjoy page design. I think if I’d gotten to do more of that when I worked at the newspaper, I’d have been more inclined to stick with the field. I recently made a flyer for an event, and it gave me such a thrill to do. At the end of the day, I didn’t care if the flyer actually got used or not… it just reminded me how much I love doing it. And perhaps I should put forth the effort to do it more, because it left me on such an amazing high.
4. Tequila may make some women’s clothes fall off, but for me it isÂ like taking a sleeping pill for me. OKay, I should clarify. Cheap tequila is like taking a sleeping pill for me. I’ve discovered if I pop for the good stuff, I get to enjoy the taste without the narcolepsy. But if I can’t sleep? One margarita or tequila sunrise and I’m OUT. I know they say alcohol to help you sleep does not result in restful sleep… but sometimes, you just gotta do what you gotta do. And for me its tequila.
5. I sincerely love helping others. If there’s a way I can reach out a hand and help, I will. I often don’t have the money the give, but if I can give my time or donate things like, well, making flyers,Â orÂ organizing something, or taking pictures, or bartending a few hours, then I want to do it. I want to help. Seeing someone else be lifted up is like a million dollars in the bank to me. I think if we all just helped each other more, this whole world would be a much better place. And… maybe I can’t change the world, but if I can help make my little piece of the world better? Well. Then I’m going to do that.
That being said, if you’re in the Nashville area, please swing by Tin Roof on Demonbreun tomorrow night from 7 pm – 1 am and give a little love to Tom & Julianne Drennon who lost their home last month to fire.
Have a great week, everyone!