Home > nanowrimo > NaNoWriMo – Try this again

NaNoWriMo – Try this again

October 26th, 2010 Leave a comment Go to comments

I signed up for NaNoWriMo for the first time last year. The goal of NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) is 50,000 word novel in 30 days.

I failed.

Miserably.

So I, of course, decided to set myself up for failure once again this year and sign up. Without a topic in mind five days out from the kick-off.

Go me.

I figure maybe if I keep signing up, one of these days I’ll pull it off.

Okay, in all seriousness, what it comes down to is the fact that November is just a crazy busy month for me, with birthdays, holidays and anniversaries. I have several other writing projects on my plate already which will be taking my attention first, as I committed to those first. So, in all seriousness, don’t take my “sarcasm” as anything other than being realistic. I can only do what I can do. I’m not superwoman.

Who knows. Maybe I’ll pull it off after all. Sometimes, I get started writing and I don’t know when to stop. Perhaps that will happen again when/if I come up with a plot idea and characters.

I really and truly think NaNoWriMo is a brilliant idea. I do, and I’m curious if any of my readers are signed up to do it and would like to be writing buddies over there?

###

In a related topic, what is your favorite book genre? Do you have a must-read to recommend? Hit me with any and all suggestions!

Categories: nanowrimo Tags: ,
  1. October 26th, 2010 at 11:10 | #1

Hey sis. I’m definitely not doing NaNo this year. I’ve actually never done it, which is odd. I guess it’s because I already participate in a yearly writing challenge on LJ and my challenge to myself is to stick to working on one project with that particular challenge. (of course, that hasn’t stopped me from thinking of a new project…haha.)

But! Book wise, I read just about anything (except the Twilight crap). I will read just about anything Nora Roberts, Sheryl Woods, and Debbie Macomber write (I won’t lie…I love my romance novels). I don’t know if you read any–I don’t even know what to call this series/genre, but I recommend to anyone who likes excellent writing, great characters, and a sense of humor the Dresden Files series by Jim Butcher and the October Daye series by Seanan McGuire. Love both series to pieces. A bit on the supernatural side, I suppose you could say. =)
    Sara recently posted..More difficult this timeā€¦

• October 28th, 2010 at 22:16 | #2

OOH! I will definitely check those out. I miss following a series, and supernatural taste? Makes it even better!

Thanks!!!!

2. October 26th, 2010 at 14:32 | #3

I’ve done it a lot in the past, but only finished the 2008 year. With nursing school it’s too stressful so no nanowrimo for me until 2013! However, I do NaBloPoMo each year. :)
    Becca recently posted..Project 365: Week 42

• October 28th, 2010 at 22:18 | #4

hehe — I don’t blame you one bit!! I always figure I’m crazy for trying, because there’s just too much going on every November. But I want to try!

Maybe by 2013 I’ll have at true shot at finishing myself, too. LOL!

3. JoAnn Schoppe
    October 26th, 2010 at 23:52 | #5

Well, a writer I am not and not even such a great reader. But all the best of luck to you. I would love to see you get to do this. And I had forgotten about all of this when we made our plans to come your way. Still I am thinking the most positive thoughts for you.

• October 28th, 2010 at 22:19 | #6

Oh please don’t worry about it regarding when you come visit! I’m, honestly, going into this with full knowledge I’ll probably not finish again. It’s just life! But, hey, I’ll give it a shot! What the heck!

4. October 27th, 2010 at 08:24 | #7

I signed up too, this will be my first effort. If you want to ‘buddy up,’ my user name over there is Tara R. Good luck, I look forward to reading your novel.
    Tara R. recently posted..Shards of glass

• October 28th, 2010 at 22:20 | #8

I’ll go find you right now! niseag03 is me!

5. Anne
    October 29th, 2010 at 13:17 | #9

Ohhh… hmm… Maybe I should attempt NaNoWriMo this year. I can always use my family for inspiration for characters. ;-)

• November 2nd, 2010 at 01:15 | #10

I send you a buddy request over there!! GOOD LUCK!!!

6. October 29th, 2010 at 16:02 | #11

Good Luck!!! Even if you finish it late it will still be rewarding to do it. =)
    Missy recently posted..This makes me

1. No trackbacks yet.