I have a lot on my plate in this moment. Half of these things will be over by the end of this week. (Thank heavens!) The many projects are a labor of love for me — benefits for wonderful causes — but they have also been a great source of stress at the same time.
Last week, I let the blog lie dormant. My hits took a serious, well, hit, and I don’t like being out of the loop in my reader’s minds. But for my own sanity, something had to give. I had to “cry uncle” somewhere. Unfortunately, this blog was the thing to fall by the wayside.
Sometimes to make things happen, you have to admit you can’t do it all. Sometimes you also just have to stop for awhile. Stop throwing yourself against the wall. Stop beating yourself up for not getting it all done. Just. Stop.
We’re all human. We have only so many hours in a day. We can only be one place at a time. Sometimes… sometimes the best way to make things happen is to not do it at all for a little while.
I’ve been MIA for a week. Why?
1. I had my parents in town and decided to play tourist in my own city for a few days.
2. Helping organize a golf tournament fundraiser. I don’t know a damn thing about golf, but I like helping good causes and I love being an Aggie. So representing my school with this fundraiser has been win/win/win.
3. Sleep. I thought that might be a good thing to get sometimes.
4. Spending time with my husband seeing friends play downtown and do showcases. I’d insert a picture here but I haven’t had time to do anything with them. So sadness, no photo.
5. Work. Picked up an extra night bartending this week. Which. I better go shower so I can go to do that right now!
Oh okay, fine. Its actually Saturday and I’m a day late for Five on Friday. I was off living life and enjoying having company. I won’t apologize, I’ll just play catch up here.
1. Fitness. I have to have my yearly check-up at the doctor’s office at the end of this month. So my goal for that is to have great blood pressure, weigh around 150 (less would rock, but I won’t be greedy), and just feel good about the state of my health in general. Oh I’m not worried about it in general now, but I could do better. Exercise a little more. Watch what I eat a little more careful. Baby steps. August is a good month for it.
2. Work. A web-site complete, a business card complete, and a whole new logo for another business. All these things completed and new projects on my plate. That is my goal.
3. Photography. HAVE MY PHOTOGRAPHY SITE DONE. It’s about time, right?
4. Travel plans. I have some traveling to do coming up. I want to have all that planned out, figured out, and set up and off my to do list.
5. Smell the roses. Doing that already. I have a busy month ahead, but I need to take time to enjoy life. Take hubby’s motorcycle out. Go for rides. Spend time with friends and family. LIVE.
A few months back, when the bar I work at first got RumChata we all did a big, “What IS this stuff?” I looked it up and it claimed to be a “bartender’s best friend,” and I immediately felt kinda dumb for not know what it was already. But. I’d never heard of it!
So, of course, I immediately downloaded the RumChata app to my phone to start exploring what to do with this… stuff. And immediately, we started experimenting.
Ever since that night I’ve not looked back. It’s become a favorite item on our shelf, and I have to be quick to get a bottle at my liquor store if I want some at home because they sell out fast!
So, that being said, “What is it?”
Well, its Rum and Horchata of course.
Yeah, that didn’t help me any either. Horchata is the name of several kinds of traditional beverages, made of ground almonds, sesame seeds, rice, barley, or tigernuts. *
STILL doesn’t help me any.
The way I describe it at the bar, RumChata (13.75% ABV – 27.5 proof) is like an Irish cream, only it features rum instead of Irish whisky. That’s a super crude description, but its the most general explanation I can give. If you ask me what its main flavor is, I’d have to say a combination of vanilla and cinnamon.
I’ve taken to drinking it in coffee at home. But at the bar, our favorite ways to serve it is:
3 pts RumChata
1 pt Kahlua
Cinnamon Toast Crunch
3 pts RumChata
1 pt Fireball
Both have become super popular shots at the bar. Lots of ways to mix RumChata though… would love to hear how you drink it. Like I said, its become a must-have for me. How about you?
Photo Share is my personal replacement for Weekly Winners, since that link exchange is no longer happening. It’s just my own challenge to take great photos through the week, as it gives me a venue to share some of them on this blog. Consider it my own little P.S. on the week before.
1. My niece is turning 12 years old today. She’s hitting that super fun age of being closer to being a young woman (which means more privileges all the time) but still totally a kid that equates to lots of fun left to be had. It’s a really awesome age.
2. It’s also a really awkward age, but she has a self confidence that shines. I have no doubt she deals with the many stresses we all had in junior high. It’s a cruel time for everyone at one point or another. But my niece lets her own personality shine through without wavering. She’s a goofball, and she isn’t going to apologize for it. And I LOVE that fact.
3. She was excited about going on vacation to go fishing. How many tween girls do you know that look forward to going fishing? Tell me that’s not one of the coolest things ever.
4. A sports powerhouse, she has serious softball skills. I was at the Nashville Sounds game the other night, and there were a few plays I found myself thinking, “My niece could have totally smoked that play better than all of y’all!” And you know… she could have. Also, I totally respect that she doesn’t have a specific team she roots for… she just loves a good game of softball. I love that she’ll rock an Alabama Crimson Tide baseball cap and then the next day run around in a Baylor Bears t-shirt. It’s about the game, not the team. And I admire that.
5. She is so full of love. I don’t need to say anything more. It says it all.
Happy Birthday, beautiful girl!! I love you and hope you have an amazing day!!!